funkadelic

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Let Me Count the Ways...

76 answering machine messages.
19 phone calls in a two hour period.
253 hours of South Park and That 70’s Show recorded on the DVR.

Remember the scene in Rainman where Raymond counts the spilled toothpicks in the diner and his brother, Charlie Babbitt, is amazed that he gets it correct? That scene is Charlie’s first intimation that Raymond has unusual skills at counting, ultimately leading him to use Raymond’s abilities to count cards in Vegas. There is a lot of counting that goes on at my house, but so far, no one has made any money at it. Now that I think about it, it isn’t always just Eli who’s doing the counting – often it’s me muttering under my breath, “1…2…3…breathe Tanya, have patience Tanya….”

The accident that caused Eli’s severe brain injury happened almost four years ago. He’s come a long way in those years, progressing from being in a coma for several months to studying (and excelling at) high school algebra in preparation to take the GED. Yet it seems that most of our breakdowns involve numbers. Eli can remember my cell phone number, but he doesn’t remember that he’s already called me 6 times to tell me he would like some gum. He very cannily remembers the code to order Pay-per-View movies, yet doesn’t remember ordering the same movie 16 times (at $4.99 a pop). My answering machine stays full because he can’t remember no one answers it since we all have cell phones. Once a week, I have to stand by the machine, push the play button and listen to the robotic voice drone on and on, “You have…76 messages. First message…” Every single message starts outs, “Mooommm…” and then I hit delete, because there are only about 4 reasons he calls:

1) He wants his socks off,
2) He wants some Coke,
3) He wants his iPod/phone charged,
4) He wants a cheeseburger.

He calls at 2:00 a.m. wanting to know why he’s in bed. We tell him it’s the middle of the night and he says, “My bad…I thought it was 2:00 in the afternoon.” He calls to tell us that he’s leaving his daycare center. He calls again to say he’s on the interstate. A third call informs us he’s getting close to our neighborhood, followed by the fourth call that conveys the scintillating news that he’s coming down the hill toward our house. All those calls translate to my counting out large sums of money to pay the cell phone bill.

I count packs of gum to determine how many days it will last him.

I count the hours until he goes to bed and relinquishes the TV remote so I can have some peace and quiet.

And then I count the many ways I should be ashamed.

Because there was a time I sat in an ER waiting room counting down the critical hours that would determine whether he lived or died (24). There were days we watched in horror as the bolt screwed into his head monitoring his ICP rose to 50 and above (and normal should have been about 15). There were months we anxiously watched for a sign that he understood what was going on around him, telling him to blink once for yes, twice for no.

My bad, Eli. You’d think by now I would have learned how to count my blessings, huh?

8 comments:

  1. Tanya,

    I have to say, I was quite touched with your first entry. Your writing is heartfelt, honest, and tinged with a little bit of dark humor—not humor-“haha” per se, but a little something that takes the edge off of what is clearly a sensitive subject. That said, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with having a son with a brain injury. Most would simply shy away from discussing such things on a public forum, but you embrace it.

    It’s deeply personal, and I feel as if I’m intruding when I read it. But this is great writing, and I think this balances the discomfort that I feel. I love how you start off with a seemingly random list and you slowly ease your reader into the entry itself with pop culture references like South Park and Rainman as sort of anchors for the audience to relate with and understand. I also like how you don’t just tell your story in a straightforward manner. Especially with something like this, reading a long linear chunk of events would just be unbearable. You start off with a certain incident or a series of incidents and relate that to the bigger picture (so-to-speak) and this is an excellent stylistic choice. Again, thank you for sharing your story and I really look forward to reading more from your blog.

    -Vu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not really sure what to say to this, except for something along the lines of you are amazing. Having to deal with this must not be the easiest thing in the world, but I am sure with a parent like you, he is incredibly lucky. I can’t imagine all of the counting you do on a daily basis, it just amazes me. It would make sense that most of the breakdowns involve numbers I would think, but I do find it astonishing that with the breakdown in numbers he is excelling in high school algebra. I could not do algebra normally, so I would imagine this would be difficult given the circumstances. I must say, your blog touched me. I can’t even begin to imagine going through something like this. You are an incredible person and your son is really lucky to have you as his mother. I am sorry for the unfortunate circumstances with your son’s brain injury. This has to be one of the hardest things for a parent to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... this is such a personal and well-written blog it leaves me speechless. I was moved by the way you integrated your son's story with your personal voice and thoughts. Its as if I was reading a memoir. When i read just a short couple of paragraphs I felt for you and also felt as if I already knew you. I thought you flowed from topic to topic so smoothly that it almost caught me off gaurd when you switched subjects. I don't have any children yet so I can't even imagine how strong you have to be for your family. I agree with the above comment that you somehow added a dark humor to your story and it brings light to the situation. I thought it was so interesting the facts that you talk about how Eli can't remember certain actions yet with numbers he excels. Information like that no one would know unless others share these tendencies and events. This blog will be so helpful to others who are dealing with similar situations to yours. Your spirit and love really shines through in this one blog entry. Not many people can openly discuss such tramatic events such as this but I think it would be beneficial for people to learn about the struggles people deal with. Thank you for your openness and honesty. I was truly gripped by this entry and I really would love to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya, I understand some of your feelings due to my own experiences as a mom. Very effective and affecting writing Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love you. Always have...the reasons change...some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanya,
    Thank you so much for sharing a bit of your soul thoughts with us,Your quilts are as beautiful as your thoughts,Keep writing,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ya Mom, (aka Tanya, aka Blessing-counter, grin),

    Wow: How NEAT to have your old cb page pop up with an update, and then to read your heart-felt share here. HOORAY, and Thank You.

    Yup, remember you, remember Eli, and have prayed for you (aka lifted you up in Prayer-Song) yea these 4 long years.

    Delighted to hear how creatively you are thriving and appreciate that you've chosen to share your journey and your thoughts with us. Looking forward to those brain-gems.

    May the blessings abundantly flow, one issue-tackling at a time!
    Lu
    Shep Volunteer and friend of Bonnie & Robert McCardel at Temple/Ward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Start Tonya....I was just thinking the other day, "I wonder how Eli is doing?" And here you are with more of your amazing writing. I am excited to follow your blog and catch up on you guys!! Gail McKinney KY (ex Dunlap Sunbrand employee) Tell Pete HEY!!!

    ReplyDelete