funkadelic

Friday, June 24, 2011

Between the Bricks

In the spring, when a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love*, my middle-aged husband’s fancy turns to thoughts of lavish landscaping. His neck swivels at an artful display of mulch the way other men ogle scantily clad women. He regales me endlessly with grandiose plans for building a “simple little” retaining wall/covered deck/gazebo . This is generally where I call a screeching halt to the conversation by waving our sadly deficient checkbook around and crush all his horticultural hopes and dreams. He then helpfully suggests that my heart is three sizes too small and our compromise eventually shakes out to purchasing hanging baskets for the front porch.
My husband scouts out the offerings, and inevitably falls deeply in love with something that looks like this.

I know this looks lovely, but he conveniently forgets that we live in Atlanta where the median summer temperature is 146 degrees and the front porch gets direct sun 19 hours a day. Like any new lover, he faithfully waters the baskets morning and night and tenderly whispers sweet nothings to them as he gently plucks their dead leaves, but as in most relationships, sooner or later…. he has to go out of town. You thought I was going to say he forgets, didn’t you? Well, HE doesn’t forget . I do. I halfheartedly try, but morning comes really early, and I’ve heard you shouldn’t water in the heat of day, and at night it’s… dark, and, ….I just can’t remember, ok?
So quicker than you can say, “Miracle NO”, our baskets look like this.

For those of you with inquiring minds, that green thing sprouting is probably a misguided acorn that fell there last fall. Why yes, now that you mention it, we DON’T have any shame and we DO leave these specimens on the porch year round so we can be confronted by our inadequacies on a daily basis.
As I came in the front door the other day, thinking how beautifully the burned out porch light complemented the desiccated flower baskets, I noticed this:

In case you can’t believe your eyes, apparently one lone petunia seed from a bygone season’s basket fell and sprouted BETWEEN THE BRICKS.
This seed thrived for more than a year in a hostile environment between two bricks and mortar, through one of Atlanta's coldest winters (including multiple snowstorms) with absolutely no care or attention, yet last spring the entire basket was deader than a dodo in less than a month under the protective onslaught of all my husband's ministrations. (Pay no attention to him mumbling that my black thumb needs to take responsibility...)
I know there's a lesson here somewhere and I'm looking really hard between the bricks to find it. "Bloom where you're NOT planted" doesn't seem quite right, yet “Why Bother?” is a little too fatalistic to motivate (and probably won’t get embroidered on a pillow anytime soon).

I suppose, as with most things, the happy medium is somewhere in the middle. The first couple of years after Eli’s accident, we figuratively fertilized and watered that child darn near to extinction. He initially thrived, and then, like the baskets, inexplicably dried up around the edges and seemed to plateau, making very little progress, just eking out a minimal existence. Everyone adapted; Pete went back to work, I went back to school, Maddy, Sawyer and Hudson did their thing, and we settled into a new normal.

But lately, we’ve seen a couple of little sprouts in the most unexpected places, so we’ve hauled out the watering can and are spraying Miracle-Gro like mad. I’ll let you know if something breaks through.
*Courtesy of Alfred Lord Tennyson’s “Locksley Hall” - I knew that English degree would be good for something someday.

7 comments:

  1. Tanya, that was an awesome entry... You made me laugh several times, because I could just see Pete doing things exactly the way you described. A great story, and just like listening to a great Baseball radio call, you painted a picture that everyone could see in their minds eye. We grow the same type of plants as ya'll do. Thanks for the smiles. ~ Ric Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya,
    I've always loved your writing! You continue to excel and have such a wonderful way of stating things and touching our hearts! Glad to be able to read your writing again.
    Cheryl H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya, I love your blog and i love your witting. thanks for always putting things into perspective. Tell my Hudson that i miss him still. We now tell Reaganism, not Hudsonism. Love ya Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you use that specialty miracle-grow-soil, with the water-absorbing pellets! That way, those Eli-shoots can keep on growing, even if the watering can goes missing!

    Heart-Hugs & Prayer-Songs continue to flow......
    Ms Lu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya,
    I absolutely adore your blog. With this second entry, you show a terrific range: from deep and heartfelt to FUNNY and deep and heartfelt. I very much enjoyed the sarcastic tone you took when addressing your husband’s horticultural hobbies and the pictures of said hobbies are great. My parents are avid gardeners and sometimes when I’m home, I watch them and I think to myself “Why?” The plants will die eventually. And even if the perennials come back, most don’t last in this awful Atlanta heat. Again, I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your husband sounds exactly like my father. He is near obsessive with his gardening, and your mention of the mulch brought back memories of fresh heaps of mulch in our yard every other week for me and my siblings to help spread about. You've got a great writing style. It was humorous, I even laughed out loud, and the ending was very sweet. I look forward to reading more posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your husband has his love affair with land scaping and my day was a home improvement addict. He stated from the back porch wood deck to the 4x4 doggie dream house for my dog Popeye. My mom has to lure mister home inporvement away with inside jobs like moing the lawn.

    ReplyDelete