funkadelic

Friday, September 23, 2011

Hello? Hello? Can you hear me now?

I, like probably most everyone else, have something of a LOVE/HATE relationship with my phone.


I LOVE that I can take my favorite songs and make ringtones from them.  I love even more that I can then assign those ringtones to different people.  There is undoubtedly something deeply Freudian in my choices, and I would be embarrassed to tell you about some of them.  The most innocuous ones are currently “Everybody Needs Love” by the Drive-By Truckers, set to ring when my kids call me, and the default ring for most everyone else is Train’s song, “Save Me San Francisco.”  I mostly like it because the refrain goes,

                “I’ve been high and I’ve been low,
                I’ve been “Yes” and I’ve been “Oh, Hell No,”
                I’ve been Rock-n-Roll and Disco,
                Won’t you save me, San Francisco.” 

Who hasn’t had an “Oh, Hell No” day?  Plus, it’s catchy.   

There was a dark period when Springsteen’s “Trapped” and the theme song from Dexter alerted me to every new call, but eventually my natural optimism resurfaced enough for me to make Bare Naked Ladies’ “If I Had a Million Dollars” the ringtone for “Unknown Callers”…just in case it was someone wanting to give me a million dollars.

I HATE that the lock button is so tiny I often can’t even see it, let alone tell if it’s locked or not.  Not too big a deal unless it rings during church…or class….or any other guaranteed maximum embarrassment time.  

I LOVE that my calendar, my contacts, my books, my coupons, my notes, my music and my photos are on it. 

I HATE that I feel like I can’t exist without it.  

I LOVE that I can call my kids, text my kids and FaceTime my kids whenever I want.

And sometimes I HATE that they can do the same to me.

Yesterday was a perfect example:

Sawyer Call #1:   
               
Saw:                      “How do you make the alfredo sauce for tortellini?”
Me:                        “Mix up ½ c. butter, ½ c. cream, ½ cup parm. cheese, toss w/ hot pasta.”
Sawyer:                 “Ok.  Thanks, bye.

Sawyer Call #2:  

Saw:                      “Where do you find tortellini in the grocery store?”
Me:                        “Freezer section at Kroger.”
Saw:                      “We’re at Wal-Mart.”
Me:                        “I’m still thinking...freezer section.”

Sawyer Call #3:

Saw:                      “We’re at Kroger now.  What does it look like?
Me:                        “Blue bag.  Still in the freezer section.”


Maddy Text #1:



Pete Call #1:

Pete:  
“Are you aware that Hudson tried to take Eli downstairs (in his wheelchair) and Eli drove off the ramp and is now stuck in the mud and it’s raining?

Me:                 “Aggghhhhh……”      
       
Pete was calling from Florida and I was in Latin class.  I’m still not quite sure why Hudson thought it was a good idea to call his father, who was 500 miles away, instead of me, only 12 miles away,  but I bolted off campus, frantically driving like a NASCAR contender, while imagining Eli lying face-down in the back yard.  (It's happened before...)

I called Maddy, but she was at work.  She called her boyfriend B and he and a friend said they would run over and help (Thanks, B & F).  By the time I got there, a neighbor had already came to the rescue, even going the extra mile to hose off his wheelchair wheels so as to not track mud in the house.  Thanks, C & M!

Once the adrenaline surge left me, things settled back to our fake-normal status, until I began to get my nightly phone calls from Eli.      

Eli Call #1:            Mom…my feet are cold.

Eli Call #2:            Mom…can I have some aspirin?

Eli Call #3:            Mom…can I have some more coke?

And just when I think I'm at my wit's end and my head is about to spin,

Eli Call #4:            Mom…I love you.

 And so it goes….

4 comments:

  1. Tanya, I have read through all of your current archives and Eli's update blog too. You had me laughing and crying and nodding my head and wanting to just reach through this screen so I could hug you (and I am NOT a huggy person). May I add this to my Important Women blogroll? Also, saw your pony-tail perfect runner today as I plodded through my neighborhood. If she had been closer I would have tripped her for you/us. But she got away. I'll try harder next time.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie -
    You are my new personal hero if you read through ALL of that!! You are welcome to add me to your blogroll...but you should probably make a new category for just "So-So Women"...truth in advertising, ya know. Thank you so much for your kind comments...I read them early this a.m. (after Eli called me at 7:04 to ask why his light switch wasn't working) and they inspired me to get out and run. However, I did have a hard time keeping a straight face when I passed a women carrying her dog in a baby pouch while she ran/walked....wish I'd gotten a pic - coulda been a whole new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohgawd! I saw a pair of women recently, dragging this poor sedate bull dog, along the jogging trail. You KNOW all that sad creature wanted to do was get back to his/her couch! Wish he'd had nice cozy bag to be carried in like the one you spotted. Yes! Take pictures!

    Stay strong, and laugh at shit, it's all we can do some days. ;)
    (Yes, I read through all the archives. Can't really help my wee self elf. A blessing. And a curse.)
    You will be transformed into an Important Woman within a matter of minutes. (Although you may not notice anything right away.)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My, My, how things have changed! The only phone in our house ( that would be your house also) sat on the green buffet in the dining room, and you would scream at your older brother to 'get off it' so you could 'get on it'. It was black and attached to the wall by a chord, and not going anywhere, which meant I had to listen to 'teen talk' all through dinner preparation. PLEASE, spare me the giggles, the snorts, the screams of delight and anguish, plus the prancing up and down the dinning room the length of the phone chord. I'll assume you've forgotten your older brother spraying you with the hose through the dinning room window, to get a turn on the phone? That little trick got him a little more than a turn on the phone.
    Yep! that was a Hell-No day for sure.
    But you know, now those days are funny, and I miss them, and you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete